First, let me tell you a little about my skin (just in case you haven't heard me
All of that boils down to this: I have to be very careful about the products I use on my face and neck. Fragrance is a big no-no, and my skin also responds negatively to things like glycolic and lactic acid. I also don't want to clog my pores. Once my pores become clogged, it's difficult to unclog them (since I can't use acids), and then the involved skin becomes reddened and will stay discolored for a fairly long period of time.
If you read my blog regularly (thank you!), you know that I try a lot of different products despite all of these issues. But the products I'm going to list for you today are the ones that are in my regular routine. They're my favorite products - the ones that I use the most, the ones I always come back to, the ones I can count on to make my skin look it's best.
1) The first step in my morning routine is using a soft washcloth with warm water to gently wipe my face and remove the heavier moisturizers from the previous night. I usually don't use a cleanser in the morning, but if I do, I use the Pure & Pretty Clarifying Cleanser from I Feel Pretty Products (IFP), which is my company. I made this cleanser (and the Gentle Cleanser) many years ago for my daughter, because she had such sensitive skin. It's the only cleanser I've used on a regular basis since then. It doesn't contain a surfactant, so it doesn't foam unless you put it in a foamer bottle. It's very gentle and doesn't dry out my skin. If I use it in the morning, I just use a small amount on my bare hands, then rinse it off with a washcloth and warm water.
2) The first product I apply to my clean skin is Paula's Choice Resist Ultra-Light Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum (1 oz. $36). I really love this product! It contains Vitamin C and niacinamide to firm skin and reduce the appearance of wrinkles, and also protects against free radical damage. I apply about a 1" ribbon of this serum to my face and neck, while my skin is still damp. I love that it's so lightweight and absorbs quickly and completely, leaving my skin feeling soft. There is no added fragrance, so I don't have to worry about irritation. I've purchased it both directly from Paula's Choice and from Amazon. I'll usually order from Paula's Choice if there is a sale or free shipping, because I can also get 3 free samples, but if there's no deal going on, I'll buy from Amazon to use free Prime shipping.
3) Next I apply I'll Get You Lines, My Pretty (0.33 oz. $16.50), which is another product from IFP. I apply this to my forehead, undereye area, nasolabial folds, above my upper lip, and my neck. Just a drop or two to those areas absorbs quickly and completely. This product contains Matrixyl 3000 and other actives that encourage collagen production, help prevent collagen loss, and tighten the skin. There is no added fragrance. (Again, the bottle pictured below has the old label on it - I'm hoping to get the new photos finished soon.)
4) If I had to choose only one facial product, this would be the one - Pretty Pearlfection Cream (0.5 oz. $10, 1.7 oz. $28). This is another IFP product, and it's the one I credit with keeping my skin clear, and reducing redness. I actually just did a reformulation of the product. I didn't change the basic formula, but just changed the consistency to make it a little thinner, and now it comes in an airless pump instead of a wide-mouth jar. (You know I hate those wide-mouth jars!) It's a moisturizer, but so much more. Pearl powder can help reduce redness, increase healing, absorb oil, and improve skin texture. The product also contains silk powder and some great oils that are both moisturizing and antioxidants. The photo below actually does show the new labels with the new logos and the new backgrounds I plan to use!
5) The last product I apply before I start applying makeup is probably the most important one in anti-aging - sunscreen. My favorite is Paula's Choice Resist Super-Light Wrinkle Defense SPF 30 (2 oz. $32) - and I feel like I looked the world over for this sunscreen. I love it! I used to use Neutrogena Dry Touch or Sheer Dry - and I still like those products (and still use the Dry Touch for my body). But the Paula's Choice sunscreen also contains Resveratrol, quercetin, Vitamin C, and is 100% fragrance free. I've used it for over a year and I've never had an issue with irritation, clogged pores, shine, or pilling. So it's not just a sunscreen. My makeup applies easily over it, and my face doesn't get any shinier than usual. Did I mention that it's tinted? Paula's Choice also has another sunscreen that I really like a lot (and just ordered during their buy one, get one free SPF special) - the Hydralight Shine-Free Mineral Complex SPF 30 (2 oz. $28). (Note: This is being discontinued summer 2016 with this particular name, but the same formula is available as Calm Redness Relief SPF 30 Mineral Moisturizer for Normal to Oily Skin (2 oz. $28).) This product is white, but it isn't greasy, and it absorbs quickly and completely - leaving skin feeling perfectly soft and smooth - no residual tackiness. I've never noticed any "sunscreen" odor to it, which is awesome, and it's also completely fragrance-free. I've used it on my face a few times, and my makeup applied well over it and I didn't have any issues with shine. I've also used it on my body, and I especially like it for that. It reminds me a lot of Neutrogena but without the sunscreen smell. The downside is that it's a lot pricier than Neutrogena if you're planning to use it on your body. So I use the Resist Super-Light on my face on a daily basis since it's also like a skin treatment, and I use the Hydralight on the lower part of my neck and any exposed areas of my chest. The reason I do that is because the Hydralight isn't tinted, so it won't leave makeup-like streaks on the necklines of my shirts. I also use the Hydralight on my body (instead of Neutrogena) if I'm going to something like an outdoor afternoon wedding and I don't want to smell like sunscreen.
As with my evening skin care routine, the products I use are what I would consider reasonably-priced. The antioxidant serum is the priciest item, but it does go on sale, and I try to purchase it then. If you're interested in any of the Paula's Choice products, I recommend signing up to be want to be on the email list so you get advance notice of sales, free shipping, etc. Right now, they're offering free shipping on everything until 9pm PT June 30, 2016. Also, if you haven't ordered from Paula's Choice before, you can use my referral link to save $10 off your first order of $15 or more.
I hope you found some of this information helpful - and even though I'm over 50, this information and these products also works well for those in their 40's or even in their 30's! It's never too early to start taking care of your skin!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
If you liked this post, you might also like:
Evening Skin Care Routine for Women Over 50
I'd love to connect with you! You can find me on