08 October 2014

You need these: Easy-to-Make Zippered Bags!


| Easy-to-Make Zippered Bags -- can easily be customized for any age, organizational or gift need!

I learned to sew when I was 7 years old. Over the years, I've learned to do a lot of thing different things with my sewing machine. But there are two things that I rarely do - put in zippers and make things from store-bought patterns.

90% of the time, I can get zippers in on the first try. But it's the other 10% that I tend to remember - and that's what stops me, because I hate ripping things out and starting over.  And my two biggest complaints with store-bought patterns is that they are outrageously expensive and the ones for clothing usually fit nothing like the sizing says. So if I do buy them, it's when they're on sale and it's usually for non-clothing items.

Which brings me to today's post! I bought some crafty patterns at my local JoAnn Fabric & Craft Store when they were on sale for $1 (what a steal!!!) and this particular pattern had these cute little zippered bags (like cosmetic bags - although you could really use them for whatever you want). So I thought I would give them a try! Plus I picked up the zippers when they were on sale, and it takes such a small amount of fabric, you can make these bags for next to nothing!

| Easy-to-Make Zippered Bags -- great gift idea

I'm not going to give a step-by-step since it's a purchased pattern, but I will give you the pattern number and show you some pictures.

| Easy-to-Make Zippered Bags -- organize, DIY, craft, sewing

Turns out they are super easy to make!! Seriously! Anyone could put in these zippers because you sew the fabric to the zipper one piece at a time, before you sew the fabric together - soooo easy!!

| Easy-to-Make Zippered Bags -- make it yourself, do-it-yourself
| Easy-to-Make Zippered Bags -- make it yourself, do-it-yourself

I went with a nautical theme for these two bags - but you could do anything! There's even a squared version of the bag - I thought that one would be cute to put in a guest bath with travel-sized toiletries for overnight guests!

| Easy-to-Make Zippered Bags -- gift ideas, DIY, crafts, how-to

I had some gold metallic burlap scraps, so I used some of that on the bottom...

| Easy-to-Make Zippered Bags -- sewing project, fabric, gifts, organize

I added a little topstitching for a finished look...

| Easy-to-Make Zippered Bags -- can easily be customized for any age, organizational or gift need!

I added an anchor charm as a zipper pull on one bag, and used a wooden anchor cut-out as a stamp and stamped a red anchor (with red fabric paint) onto the other bag...

The larger bag has a double zipper!

| Easy-to-Make Zippered Bags -- can easily be customized for any age, organizational or gift need!

I used some interfacing on the smaller bag to give it a little more stability, but the larger bag is soft and very "foldable".

| Easy-to-Make Zippered Bags -- can easily be customized for any age, organizational or gift need!

These would make cute little gifts for all age groups - you could fill them with makeup supplies for teen girls or adult women, first aid supplies, beach supplies, art supplies, small toys for children - you could even make a small tool bag for your upstairs (if you live in a multi-level home like me, how many times have you needed a screwdriver or pliers and there weren't any on the particular level you were on?) or car! The possibilities are endless!!

What gift ideas do you have for bags like these?

~  ~  ~  ~  ~

Are you blog-stalking me yet? If not, you should be! You can find me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, Bloglovin', Pinterest, LinkedIn, & Polyvore!

I link up at these parties: party, Party, PARTY!