Do you have a favorite type of decoration? I have several, but it seems like every year I am attracted to a specific type of decoration. This year, it's Christmas trees! Not just the large ones we decorate, but also all of the little ones - metal, paper, fabric - all shapes and sizes. So cute!
Have you seen the trees made of burlap loops? And the prices? Yikes!! Adorable, but I'm not spending that much, so I figured out how to make one of my own - and I'm going to share my tutorial with you!
What I used:
- burlap, cut into strips (I used 6" strips from the bottom to 2/3 up the tree, then 5" strips from the 2/3 to about 2" from the top, then 4.5" to the top - all were 1/2" wide)
- styrofoam cone
- 8mm metal brads
- hot glue gun
- something to top the tree (I used a glitter star from a Christmas floral pick)
1) I didn't want to worry about any of the styrofoam showing, so I wrapped the cone in burlap and hot glued it in place.
2) Starting at the bottom of the cone, I attached the burlap strips one by one. I formed a loop with the strip, then attached it to the tree by pushing a brad through the burlap into the styrofoam. With each successive row, I staggered the loops so that they layered between the previous row.
About 2/3 of the way up the cone, I switched to 5" strips - and then about 2" from the top, I switched to 4.5" strips.
At the top, taking two slightly longer strips, I shaped each one into double loops, then hot glued them together crosswise. Then I hot glued them to the top of the tree.
To finish, I hot glued a gold glittered star to the top of the tree.
See? Super easy - super cute - and costs just a fraction of what you'd pay in a store!
You could also easily do variations:
- add glitter to the edges of the loops
- glue tiny ornaments or jewels to the loops
- use fabric instead of burlap
To get you started on your own fabulously festive project, here is a link to the Jo-Ann holiday catalog and a printable coupon for 50% off a regular-priced item!
(coupon no longer available)
What holiday crafts are you making this year?
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I link up at these parties: party, Party, PARTY!