This is soooo quick & easy to make. Seriously. It takes 5 minutes from bowl to oven. And it is decadently rich. If you wanted to get fancy, you could cut it into small squares and dip one side in chocolate. The recipe I adapted this from said that it made 32 servings. Hmmm. Serving size is so subjective. Maybe bird-size servings. We eat big slices of it, like a big ol' shortbread pie. Mmmmm, good!
(makes 8-16 servings, depending upon serving size)
1 c. butter
3/4 c. white sugar
3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2) In large bowl, cream butter with electric mixer.
3) In another bowl, mix together all dry ingredients.
4) Add 1/3 of the dry mixture to the butter, using the mixer to mix together.
5) Add another 1/3 of the dry mixture, and mix together.
6) Add last of the dry mixture, and mix together until everything is evenly crumbled.
7) Press mixture firmly into pan (9" square or round).
8) Use a sharp knife to score cutting marks on surface of shortbread.
9) Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Edges should just barely be golden brown.
10) Cut through shortbread at score marks as soon as it is removed from the oven.
Let it cool a little and enjoy!!
(This is one of Gus's favorite desserts - he tries to hog the whole pan and has even been known to hide it!)